Skip to main content


Each year, the Government of Canada plans for the resettlement of a number of refugees from abroad as Government-Assisted Refugees (GARs) and supports these refugees through the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP). Under RAP, the refugees are supported at approximately the equivalent of local provincial social assistance levels for up to twelve months after their arrival in Canada. Government-assisted refugees consist of members of the Convention refugees abroad class. They are selected from applicants referred by the UNHCR or other designated referral agents, to Canadian visa offices.

» Glossary

loader image